- Well our big summer story is over. Last year it was Sundin. That bald bastard strung us along until December. Dany Heatley gave us the silent treatment so we had no choice but to speculate until he gave us a call and teased us with a little phone sex. But now he's left for California, San Jose to be more specific, his preferred destination. Who wins, Ottawa or San Jose? If they don't win it all does it matter? That's probably more relevant for San Jose, but isn't that why Dany wanted out of Ottawa and over to SJ so he had a better opportunity of winning it all?
- By the way, doesn't Jonathan Cheechoo read like a character out of 'Mystery, Alaska'?
- So now we move on to our less interesting story of the summer, Phil Kessel and that pesky salary cap. Kessel really wanted to be UNrestricted free agent, because then he could probably get a lot more loot than he's asking for. And put someone else's team over the cap. Burke peaked everyone's interest when he re-acquired his second round pick, making a hypocritical offer sheet possible. But for the first time in their history, the Predators are actually trying to go after someone who doesn't have a "wonky" foot. (Scott Burnside needs his wonky head looked at.) To me, out of those three teams, (throw the Rangers in if you want), Boston has the best chance to win.
- Signings, Manny Malhotra to San Jose, Petr Sykora to Minnesota, Rob Niedermayer to Moscow, Maxim Afinogenov on tryout in Atlanta... wait, shouldn't those last two be switched. Nope.
- A letter to Mr. Gretzky, with all due respect. Great read over at View From My Seats. I can't pass up an opportunity to post one of these...
- Mike Green is still a dork. Further proof and infatuation here. That's only one of many, on one of my new favorite reads, Hockey is My Boyfriend.
I guess that's it. I'm not really into preseason games, they're meaningless. I've got some more posts planned... 'How You Get Your Hockey', and maybe some Top Ten lists, or five if I'm feeling lazy, and I usually am. And of course I've got to wrap up those division breakdowns before the season starts, Northeast Division up next.
Fuck, I better get crack-a-lackin'.